Friday, August 18, 2017

Session 2: Dinner 6 with Chef Frank Harris & Crew

There was a full house with no empty seats, but plenty of empty plates at last night's dinner with Chef Frank Harris, and now I know why!  Owner of Franks Pizza Napoletana & Frank's Louisiana Kitchen, Chef Harris and his crew prepared a phenomenal dinner!  Course after course, it kept getting better.  Oh and let me not forget to mention that there were signature cocktails served with each course!  Needless to say, I think every guest left Kitchen & Bath Cottage full and spirited!  I was lucky enough to grab a seat next to Chef Tom Ramsey who laid some of his culinary knowledge on me as the courses came out.  How lucky am I?  I got a great dinner and a culinary education at the same time! Winning! Here's what we are...[Keep Reading...]

Amuse Bouche Duo
‘Nduja on Grilled Ciabatta with Shaved Cured Egg Yolk
House Smoked Salmon on Lavosh with Lemon-Dill Whipped Cream Cheese
Dewberry Shrub Champagne Cocktail
 
We were instructed to eat this course from left to right (the grilled Ciabatta to the smoked salmon).  On the left, we were told to expect to experience the heat of summer from the 'Nduja which is a spicy, spreadable pork salumi.  At first bite, the heat was barely noticeable, but it soon kicked in and I was looking very forward to moving on to the right.  There, we were told to expect to cool it off with the cream cheese atop the smoked salmon and then wash it all down with the fruity Dewberry Shrub Champagne Cocktail.  What a great starter, cheers!

Soup
Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho with Marinated Jumbo Lump Crab
The flavors here were amazing.  The best of both worlds, sweet and savory all in one bowl.  I loved the chunkiness of the soup and it was so different from the creamy Gazpachos that I've had in the past.  No #textureproblems were encountered here.  I happily chewed every bit of lump crap, onion and watermelon. Yum!


Salad
Chiogga Beet & Arugula Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette, Duck Cracklings & Gorgonzola Sformato and Aphrodesia
Remember how I mentioned earlier about being lucky to have scored a seat by Chef Ramsey?  Here is were it began to pay off.  This course was all beets everything.  The Aphrodesia even had beet infused Vodka!  When I read that beets were going to be in the salad, I almost said "beat it, you beets" until Chef Ramsey quickly educated me that roasted Chiogga beets are actually sweet and he wasn't joking.  I inhaled this salad, beets and all.  They actually provided a great balance to the bitterness of the arugula and the Gorgonzola Sformato provided the best creamy soppage factor ever.  I could eat this everyday!





Seafood
Jumbo Head-On Shrimp with Calabrese Chile Agrodolce Skillet Fried Louisiana Corn and Black Garlic Puree
Described by the chefs as a "simple prep," this beauty lay atop a 13 day old fermented garlic turned into a Black Garlic Puree!  Another lesson was learned during this course,  how to make black garlic.   One single layer of white garlic bulbs at the bottom of a crockpot on warm for the 13 days, that's it.  Set it and forget it!  By doing this, it tones down the harshness of the garlic and creates a molasses like flavor.  Everything was seasoned to perfection and yes I tried to sop up every bit of that puree and even ate the gooey shrimp head stuff (I decided to spare your eyes, although I did snap a photo.)






The Picpoul De Pinet sereved with this course pairs well with fish and seafood dishes.  It was bit too dry for my taste buds, but I was a trooper and sipped and dined away.





Palate Cleanser
Calvados & Kaffir Lime Sorbet with Fizzy Grapes
Beautiful and refreshing!  When biting the grapes, they burst in my mouth.  It felt like the popping of bubbles in a carbonated drink.  Palate cleansed and ready for what's next.


Meat
Braised Beef Short Rib with Gremolata Spinach-Ricotta Filled Red Ravioli with Egg Yolk & Basil Oil Drizzle served with a Sherry Cobbler Cocktail

While this course was being prepped, I jokingly asked Chef Harris, "so this is one per table, right?"  He looked at me, laughed and said  "OH NO, one per person!"  This very generous hunk piece of buttery beef came to me swimming in soppage.  I was already won over!  The ravioli was perfectly  filled with creamy spinach ricotta and egg yolk that came pouring out when I cut into it.  Words can't express how satisfied I was with this course.  Between the cocktails and the previous 5 courses, I was full, but I. JUST. COULDN'T. STOP. EATING. So I finished it all!




Dessert
Chocolate Cannoli Filled with Local Sweetened & Whipped Ricotta & Goat Cheese with Crushed Pistachios & Fig Syrup served with  a Pecan Old Fashioned
...and then there's dessert!  A dark chocolate cannoli at that!  Filled with homemade goat cheese drizzled in sweet fig syrup and garnished with roasted pistachios.  Yes please! 

There was a bit of a personal touch to the cocktail served with this course.  Honey from Chef Frank's own bee hive was used.  What could bee better than that!?!  Bottoms up!

Thanks to Chef Harris and the Creators of Tonight’s Menu
Allison Patterson - Chef de Cuisine, Jacob Mouser - Sous Chef Andy Flook - Chief Mixologist
FRANK’S Louisiana Kitchen
Van Murff - Chef de Cuisine, Chris Watson - Sous Chef 

 

 

 Viva La Food Prize and see yall next time...
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig