Thursday, January 11, 2018

Are You a-Baht That Life?

...well you should be!  One US dollar equates to 32.11 Bahts, the everyday currency used in Thailand.  Needless to say, the American dollar is strong and you really get a bang for your Baht!  Budget-conscious travelers need not worry and spendthrifts can live like royalty.  A win-win situation for every type of traveler.


For months leading up to my very first international trip, I was repeatedly asked, 'why Thailand?'  Sadly, at the time, I had no real answer, as I had blindly signed up and tagged along with the travel boutique, Her Travel Tribe, not fully knowing what my destination after a 23 hour flight had in store for me.  Sure, I was given an itinerary and knew roughly how I'd spend most of my time while there, but nothing could fully prepare me for what all Thailand had to offer. 

Here are a few reasons why I love Thailand and I think you will too.


Thai people are polite and hospitable
Everywhere you go, you're greeted with a smile, a hello (sawadee ka) and a wai (slight bow, with the palms pressed together in a prayer-like fashion).  You'll hear it so much that before you know it, you'll do the same, without even thinking about it.  It's quite contagious.  Another phrase you'll learn quickly is "khap khun ka" which is thank you. 

Upon arrival at both our hotel and private villa, we were greeted Phuang malai (Thai form of floral garland) for our wrists, beautiful beverages and refreshing towels (you'll grow to live for and love these, trust and thank me later.)

The food and flavors
There is no shortage of beautiful colors, flavors and food aromas in Thailand.  Street food vendors are everywhere, ready and waiting to serve you.  If you're looking to cook some of your own meals while there, no worries, fresh food markets are in abundance as well.   I had the opportunity to take a cooking class during my visit and I began to understand why Thai cuisine packs so much flavor.  Ingredients are fresh (we made our own coconut milk with our bare (gloved) hands and a wealth of spices and herbs are used instead of my personal go to.....salt!  All in one bowl, a dish can be hot and spicy, cool and soothing, sweet and sour, creating a beautiful marriage of colors, tastes and aromas.  We visited several eating spots and vendors.  Pardon all of the pictures, this was a highlight for me, what can I say, I'm a foodie.



Clean and neat
I saw little to no trash on the streets while in Thailand and the public restrooms are the same.  With the use of bidets, toilet tissue is almost non-existent.  I didn't personally use any of the bidets while there, I could never figure out how you "dry off" after use.  With that being said, it didn't take me long to learn to ask for napkins, paper towels or tissue at the front of an establishment (the only place it's kept), if  I didn't remember to pack any before venturing out for the day.


The culture is rich
Thai people are very patriotic and take pride in their history and culture.  Our tour guides from BKK Tours were phenomenal, informative and passionate about the history and cultural information shared at each location we visited.  From the beautiful Buddhist temples, the different Buddha statues, to the railway and floating markets and the historic city of Ayutthaya, we left each spot a culturally richer than when we showed up. 


The picture perfect scenery
I love warm, sunny weather and Thailand has plenty of it.  There are 3 official seasons in Thailand - hot, cold and wet.  I visited during the beginning of hot season and yes it was HOT but it was beautiful!  The beaches, the sand and the mountains were absolutely breathtaking.  You'll feel like a model posing your sun-kissed body against some of the most beautiful scenery you'll every lay eyes on.


On another note, look for these refreshing towels, they will be just thing to bring that heat level down and cool you right on off.





The markets and shopping


Shopping galore!  There are so many clothing, souvenir and knick-knack shops, that its quite easy to get overwhelmed.  The good thing about it is that Thailand is cheap!  Most trinket items go for as little as 100 Baht (or $3 USD).  Its amazing that some of the goods go for so cheap!   During our shopping excursions, we visited both the railway and floating markets in Samut Songkran, southwest of Bangkok.  At the unique railway markets, merchants are set up on both sides of the track.  When the train passes through, they quickly fold their stall covers and move all of their products away from the track.  Seconds later after the train passes, the vendors are rolling tables and baskets back into position as if nothing happened.  The floating markets were my favorite.  You literally hitch a boat ride and shop while merchants float by and reel you in if you're interested.


I know that this was only my first international trip, but I can honestly say that I believe Thailand has earned a top spot on my places visited list. Let's see how it compares to this year's trip....Bali, Indonesia! 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig