Thursday, May 18, 2017

Dinner 3:10 - Southerners know you don’t cook meals, you “fix” them!

... and Chef Jason Reynolds, a self-proclaimed country boy from the south did just that.  He "fixed" 5 courses of some really great tasting southern cuisine last night. I cleaned my plate each course y'all!!! 

Here's what we ate and a little about how each bite made me feel, because everybody knows that Southern cuisine is about feelings just as much as it is about flavor. [Keep Reading...]



Cotton Candy Duck Bites 
Grilled duck with brie, jalapeno, wrapped in bacon, then spun with pepper jelly cotton candy

Cotton candy and bacon?!?! Yes, that's right! You bite into this and you immediately get the heat from the jalapeño and the crunch of the bacon and the savoriness of the grilled duck & brie and before you know it, its gone because you've inhaled it! This was just that good, although I did look around the room to see other dinner-goers using a knife and fork while I embarrassingly waved my naked skewer around. Seriously though, who doesn't love food on a stick? Total thumbs up!
Local Panzanella Salad 
Local tomatoes, greens, pork fat cornbread croutons, roasted shallot and bacon vinaigrette.
If pork fat cornbread croutons doesn't speak Southern to you...then honey, bless your heart! Throwing a little Southern flair on top of a salad tossed with bacon vinaigrette is a surefire way to get folks to clean their plates, because let's be honest, bacon (and pork fat) makes everything better!
Seared Golden Tile 
Pan seared Golden Tilefish on top of fire roasted succotash, topped with preserved lemon buerre blanc.

 I could seriously eat this dish everyday. Gold Tilefish is a flaky fish with a kind of sweet flavor that Chef Jason seasoned to PERFECTION! The fire roasted succotash was wonderful as well, the okra was just the little Southern touch that won me over. This was also inhaled and I was not embarrassed at all! Yum!

Grilled Wild Boar Chops 
Local braised greens, Johnnie cake topped with muscadine mostrada

No real explaining to do here. A true southern staple...greens and corn bread aka Johnnie Cake or affectionately known by my dad as a "hoecake"( from being baked on a hoe) is a no brainer, you eat it because its good. The boar chop was a first for me. Much like a pork chop, a little tough and gamey but not overbearing. It was seasoned well and the muscadine montrada was a awesome pairing. If you're reading this and happen to go boar hunting, save some chops for me!
  
Blueberry Muffin Bread Pudding 
Bread pudding made for blueberry muffins, berry compote and crème an glaze.

The marriage of the blueberry muffin & bread pudding was a union that I never expected to witness, but I am glad that I did. My only complaint is that we should have been given straws to suck up every drop of that compote. This was amazing and a great way to end the night.
See yall next time...

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig