Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Dinner 2:10 - Where's the Beef??


....its on my plate, staring at me, all high quality, raw and actually kind of tasty.  When going to a new restaurant or even a frequent dining spot, I don't like to look over the menu before arriving.  I like the element of surprise.  So when this week's menu hit my inbox and I accidently read two words "Beef Tartar", it was a total mouth-on-floor experience!  Specifically because I only order all of my animal flesh well done, with no pink; but there is just no well done, in Tartar. 

I remained open-minded AND open-mouthed, took my taste buds on a new flavor full journey and ate some really good damn food.  Chef Anthony Felan's menu was pretty fancy.  Check out what he fed us. [Keep reading...]


From Left to Right:  Place Setting & Cocktail of the Evening  |  1.  Amuse Bouche:  Compressed Watermelon, Basil Scented Tomato water, Sea salt  |  2. Velvet Shrimp Bisque, Blackened Shrimp, Salmon Roe, Curry Oil, Micro Garden  |  3. Akaushi Beef Tartar, Smoked Oyster Aioli, Cracklin Dust, Quail Yolk, Bull Blood, & Fried Lotus Root  |  4. Spiced Buttermilk Poached Halibut, Black Garlic Potato Puree, Green Tomato Agro Dulce, Pickled Red Onion Petals, Pine Nuts, Smoked Calabrian Chili Oil  |  5.  Peking Style Plantation Quail, Purple Sweet Potato, Abita Root Beer Glaze, Tart Apple, Turmeric Oil  |  6.  Crispy Pork Belly, Corn Pudding, Charred Petite Carrot, Black Berry Lavender Reduction  |  7. Strawberry Crème Fraiche Ice Cream, Crushed Meringue, Pomegranate Seeds, Roe Water Caviar, Rose Petals & Candied Lemon


I know you're saying, it's pretty but what did it taste like?  It was delicious.  My absolute favorites from this menu were the Shrimp Bisque first, then the Halibut followed by the Quail & Purple Sweet potatoes as a close 3rd.  I only struggled with the Beef Tartar because of the texture #textureproblems (a bit too slimy/chewy for me).   It had a wonderful flavor and if I had maybe 4 or 5 more Fried Lotus Root chips, I would have struggled less.  With all that being said "Viva La Food Prize"!!!  See ya next time...
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig