Sunday, April 01, 2018

Crawfish Crawl: A Search for the Best Tails in Town



It’s crawfish season!  Although I’ve already indulged in a pound earlier this month, I was thrilled to officially kicked off my season with Loving This Life Jada in my first Crawfish Crawl.  A group of 8 tail eating, head sucking crawfish lovers made 5 local stops at crawfish places looking for some of the tastiest tails in the city.  Here’s a recap of our spicy excursion.


Disclaimer:  Not every crawfish stand is created equal but they do all claim to have the best tasting tails.  The same thing goes for the crawfish eater, everyone's spice/salt preference is different and that's okay.  With that being said, these are my personal opinions.  I made a list of things that I felt important and graded each stop accordingly.  Yall know I love soppage and am a big believer in dipping tails, potatoes, corn or whatever is that lovely crawfish juice that sits in the bottom of the bag or pan.


Farmers Seafood Co Wholesale/Retail
1192 Hawn Ave, Shreveport, LA 71107
$4.29 per pound

Spicy? Yes
Flavor? Good, not overly seasoned 
Suckable? Yes 
Size? Small to medium
Soppage?  No
Being that Farmer's is a wholesaler, there were no option for traditional sides (i.e. corn and potatoes), so we purchased 2 pounds and dug in.  This was the first time that I've had cold/chilled crawfish, nonetheless it didn't alter the taste.





Hot Crawfish at Exxon on Pines Rd.
6701 Pines Rd, Shreveport, LA 71129
$4.99 per pound


Spicy? Yes
Flavor? Good, not salty 
Suckable? Yes 
Size? Small to medium
Soppage?  Yes 

I think I ate more potatoes and corn than I did crawfish because of the soppage.  For stands who don't cook their sides in crawfish seasoning, soppage or a good dipping sauce is a must!  I was surprised to hear that the owners are from Mexico and travel back home during off season.  Thanks to Google Translate, I was able to find that out.






Fat Daddy's Crawfish
4839 Greenwood Rd, Shreveport, LA 71109
$6.79 per pound

Spicy? Yes
Flavor? Good and flavorful 
Suckable? Yes 
Size? Medium to large
Soppage?  No, but they have this amazing butter sauce that is made daily, it was great with the sides.
I got the amazing opportunity of meeting Fat Daddy himself, and he told Jada and me about learning to cook as a young boy in Prairieville, La.  He also says that he is the only crawfish stand in Shreveport to cook authentic Cajun style crawfish, cooking the seasonings with the crawfish and not just peppering the shells.  He was a delight to talk to and even gave us a sneak peak in the kitchen where they were hand washing the crawfish.
 




  


Red Barn Cajun Crawfish & Seafood Market
7299 Greenwood Rd a, Shreveport, LA 71119
$5.25 per pound

Spicy? Yes, mouths were on fire!
Flavor? Flavorful but kind of salty
Suckable? YES
Size? Small
Soppage? YESSSS! 
Aside from crawfish, Red Barn makes the most amazing smoked boudin that I've had in the city.  It was amazing, will definitely go back!  The amount of crawfish juice alone just about sold me on these!  I mean, who doesn't love a juicy tail? 
 





Chuck Wagon
9200 Wallace Lake Rd, Shreveport, LA 71106
$5.75 per pound

Spicy? Yes
Flavor? Very flavorful, cooked with lemon
Suckable? Yes 
Size? Large
Soppage? YES!

This would be our final stop and that would be thanks to the huge scoops of crawfish, sausage, shrimp, corn and potatoes that seemed to never stop coming to our table.  Chuck Wagon’s crawfish were by far the biggest on our crawl. This was my first time having them cooked with lemon. The taste was different but not bad at all. 










My friends, my taste buds and I had a blast crawfish crawlin’. I know you are wanting to know who I think had the best tails in town.  Out of our 5 stops, I think the winner is....


Have you visited Red Barn?  Who do you think has the best tails in town?  Let me know!
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Awesome! I LOVE Chuck Wagon. I was anxious to see if it was on your list! I will definitely have to try Red Barn and I LOVE some good boudin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy looking tasty-licious foods you have here!
    What do animals eat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Looks yummy. This makes me hungry . Thanks for sharing by the way.
    Try to check this too
    DogsNStuff.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing. This looks so delicious. Thanks once again for sharing this kind of article. Try to check this too
    Types of Insectst

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig