Sunday, September 10, 2017

Brunch with Chef David Bates

 
...and sadly, all things must come to an end.  We ended Session 2 of the Louisiana Food Prize brunchin' with Chef David Bates.  This photo really captures Chef's fun spirit.  He hopped in front of the camera while I snapped a photo of his staff prepping one of the courses saying, "heyyy!"   Well hey there Chef, we see you!  Now let's see what was on the menu.
 
For starters, we were served Mini duck corn dogs with pear chutney, whole grain mustard and hot mustard sauce that Chef brought back from the Caribbean.  Cute, delicious and gone.  The chutney was my favorite paring with the corn dog, not too sweet.  Oh and by the way, the hot Caribbean mustard sauce lived up to its name...water please!
  
 

Next, we were served a little, cheesy bite of  Pimento cheese biscuit with country ham and mayaw pepper jelly.  I could have easily eaten my weight in these, there were SO good.  If you look closely, you can see "soppage" in the background, it was used thoroughly!
 
 
When Chef introduced the next course, Flank Steak Benedict with Chimichurri, he said, "I think this should be on every brunch menu."   Honestly I've seen overlooked on purpose, several eggs benedict brunch menu items, but would never order them because......yuck.  My "at least one bite of everything" rule keep playing over and over in my mind, so I did just that.  One bite turned into two and then it was gone.  I have officially eaten eggs benedict, poached egg and all!  It actually wasn't so bad, I suppose that I can finally stop offending chefs and order the eggs the way they come instead of remixing dishes by asking for a hard scramble.   Yay, palate expanding! 
 

 
For the brunch-tree (you see what I did there brunch + entrée), we had Grillades & Grits.  Pronounced GREE-ahds, it is slow cooked meat served over creamy grits.  This course was another clean your plate meal and soppage approved!
 
 
This Nuts & Berries Bread Pudding was perfect! I am often intimated by bread pudding's texture, but no #textureproblems were encountered here.  I cleaned my plate, no dishwasher needed! Yum!
 
 
On my journey of firsts, I'd like to add having a Blood Mary to that list.  I had my very first one today!  Charlie of the bar chord has definitely made it hard to top his version of this tomato-y goodness.  It came garnished with an asparagus spear, a green bean, an ear of baby corn, a quail egg and BACON!   Yes please!  And the Peach Bellini in the back wasn't bad either.  Can you say drunk before noon!?!?
 
...Viva La Chef David, Viva La Food Prize!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig