Thursday, August 03, 2017

Session 2: Dinner 4 with Tootie Morrison

This was my second time being under the culinary care of Chef Tootie Morrison.  On my first visit to Abby Singer's Bistro, I was impressed and she definitely did not disappoint this time around.  We were seated in the private dining room area of the bistro.  Each table had the most delicious and refreshing bottle of Ginger Lemonade as a centerpiece (I totally forgot to snap a photo) along with a napkin and CHOPSTICKS at each place setting!  The excitement was almost unbearable! Just as an aside, I never look at the menus beforehand, I love the element of surprise and this certainly did it for me!  Chef Tootie's fun personality really shined through as she talked a about each course before we were served.  Here's what we ate.  [Keep Reading...]

Appetizer -Shrimp Egg Rolls
Chef Tootie joked saying "and if you don't like these rolls, there is something wrong with YOU!" (with an implied, "and not MY FOOD)!") as she introduced the appetizer course. Well, Chef, no worries here, I am just fine because I not only liked these rolls, I LOVED them! 

A twist on the bistro's signature Singer Rolls, this Shrimp Egg Roll consisted of a BIG juicy shrimp wrapped in an egg roll wrapper, with notes of garlic and ginger.  Honest moment, I saw the beet and cringed, as I usually say "beat it you nasty beet" but hey, when at the Louisiana Food Prize, you try all of the food: at least a bite!  It's not an official rule; but its my rule;  I'm in the expanding my palate business.  So I went in, and it was not bad at all - kind of sweet actually.  Maybe the honey helped?  It was quite an adventure getting that beet off the plate with my chopsticks!  Mission accomplished


Salad - Watermelon Carpaccio
with blistered sushito pepper mitsuba greens feta, toasted pistachios and lime vinaigrette

This dish hit all of the 'ping, ping, pings' as described by Chef Tootie.  Sweet watermelon, savory feta, colorful Japanese parsley, sweet sushito pepper, crunchy pistachios, tangy lime vinaigrette and spicy cayenne pepper garnish.  I was here for it!  My taste buds had a party with this one.  
**This course was thoughtfully served with a fork**


Entrée - Korean BBQ Flank Steak, Lemongrass Scallops and Marinated Tofu
served with seaweed salad, green beans & eggplant ( family style)

When this course was placed in front of me, I immediately thought "lettuce wraps".  I dressed the wraps with seaweed salad (which was tasty and amazing) using my chopsticks and then proceed to use my hands to eat the wraps.  Each meat/protein source, yes even the tofu, was bursting with flavor!  As I bit into the flank steak wrap, guess what happened?   Soppage began to run out of it...HEAVEN!  I did what any foodie would do and sopped that soppage right on up.  There were tastes of garlic, sesame seed oil and soy sauce.  Simply delicious!

From Right to Left: Flank Steak, Scallop & Tofu

See, I was a trooper!  I at least deserve an "E" for effort for staying true to the theme.   
Team No Forks!


Family Style Side Dish - Eggplant & Green Beans


 Dessert - Loganberry and Coconut Milk Popsicle
with Mango and Dragonfruit Puree garnished with a Green Tea & White Chocolate Twill 
I've never had such a fancy popsicle.  The ice cream and puree (also known as soppage) were sooooooo good!  So good in fact, that at my table, there was a dare to see who would drink it from the plate.  None of us did, but it was very tempting!  Thank you Chef for an awesome meal!


Okay, that's it folks, see y'all next time and Viva La Food Prize
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig