Sunday, July 30, 2017

Session 2: Dinner 3 with Chef John Strand

Hey there friends, I'm baaack!  With a fancy, brand new entry into my Louisiana Food Prize Golden Fork competition blog posts.  I attended dinner last night featuring the creative culinary delights of Chef John Strand.  What you're about to see, is a menu that was a year in the making.  During course introductions,  Chef Strand mentioned how he wanted to "step it up' from last year's menu.  I would definitely consider it stepped up. Here's what we were served, tell me what you think. [Keep Reading...]


The printed menus at each place setting were an excellent touch.  Along with being aesthetically pleasing, they were also informative.  There was a "tasting tip" printed under each course.  Now, I can't speak for the other dinner attendees, but I really appreciated that. 

AMUSE BOUCHE
Caviar Surmonté d'artichaut
Chilled steamed artichoke leaves, dressed in béarnaise sauce, quenelles of artichoke heart and crème fraiche purée and a glint of caviar.
It was fancy and I was confused so I asked for instructions.  Chef explained that I should rake my teeth over the end of the artichoke leaf and take in the creamy goodness.  Okay, he didn't say creamy goodness but that's what it was! Each leaf featured a variety of seaweed caviar. Yep, palate expanded!
FIRST COURSE APPETIZER
Suspended Caprese Animation
Mozzarella pearls suspended in molecular gastronomic tomato water with basil infused
oil, tomato coulis and balsamic reduction.
This course was like a magical work of art.  The molecular gastronomic tomato water globe had the consistency of Jello with the surprise of a mozzarella pearl in the middle.  We were instructed to cut the globe in half and take a bite with the soppage sauces.  
THIRD COURSE SOUP
Chilled Monterey Avocado & Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Layers of creamy avocado, silky Monterey jack cream and sweet roasted red pepper
bisque. Topped with lump crab and chiffonade’s of mango.
The layers of flavors in this dish were phenomenal.  I could eat this everyday!  I was able to snap a photo of the soup while being prepped.  The OCD in me keeps touching my screen trying to straighten that one bowl up just perfectly, I have no idea how I missed that while taking this.   

FOURTH COURSE SALAD
Smoked Tuna and Scallop Crudo Spring Salad
Delicately layered cold smoked tuna and sea scallop crude. Topped with bits of crispy
fried gyoza, fresh spring greens and edible flowers. Dressed with sesame oil, lemon and
mandarin orange vinaigrette.
Almost too pretty to eat, but I did.  Smoke anything is still on my mind over matter list of things to eat, but this went down easy paired with the fresh greens, edible flowers and the pop of sweetness from the pomegranate seeds!
FIFTH COURSE ENTRÉE ONE
Tournedos Rossini with Chanterelle Mushrooms,Coconut Dijon Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Beef Tenderloin, sous vide and pan seared served over toasted French bread rounds.
Topped with golden sautéed foie gras and a madeira and veal demi-glace, black truffle
reduction. Served with brown butter sautéed chanterelle mushrooms and a complement
of Dijon coconut Brussels sprouts.
This course was a mouthful to say and a mouthful to chew, because I kept stuffing my face!  Tender and full of flavor!  Over the course of this experience, I've learned to appreciate degrees of doneness.  I used to be a well-done girl, but I may be finding my way to medium-well, maybe! 
SIXTH COURSE ENTRÉE TWO
Jäger Fasan with Rosemary Roasted Fig, Caramelized Baby Carrot and Flame Kissed Asparagus
Hunters pheasant confit served a top roasted fig and drizzled with a savory blackberry
brandy reduction accompanied with caramelize baby carrots and flamed seared
asparagus spears. Served on natures plate in the misty German black forest.
Pheasant? Check!  Rubbing elbows (and forks) with the Golden Fork Society members and chefs has kept me checking new foods off my never had before list.  Tonight's new food was pheasant.  I hate to be cliché but, it tasted like chicken.  It was seasoned well and paired with the roasted fig and blackberry brandy reduction was just perfect.  Aside from taste, the presentation was great.  The moss in the middle of the plate was smoking when it was placed in front of us, but it wasn't edible, I asked! Bummer!

SEVENTH COURSE DESSERT
El Espejo del Diablo (The Devils Mirror)
Rich and sweet orange mousse cake on a delicate crust with a chili infused white chocolate
mirror glaze and a dusting of gold to tempt your soul.


Works of art seemed to be the going theme for Chef Strand last night and his final course was just that!  This decadent dessert was pretty, creamy, delicious and had a hint of heat that hit the back of my throat. Sweet and sassy! 

Thanks Chef Strand for an awesome evening!







SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig